As much as I may hand-wring about overaggressiveness from the Pulp Revolution crowd (I still prefer to think of myself as a moderating voice rather than a scold), I have to say that at least most of these folks conduct themselves with a level of decorum that seems to be absent in other quarters.
At the risk of sounding self-congratulatory about “my own side,” I’ve seen very little objectionable behavior from “us.” Sure, there’s some shitlording and sometimes you’ll see some bad language, it’s true. But I have yet to see anyone write off a good faith effort to engage. Dialogue and debate are welcome.
I bring this up because of an encounter Alex of Cirsova had yesterday. Summary:
(Updated – thanks for clarifying a point here, Alex)
– Dude writes a blog post about the Arthur C. Clark Award and his thoughts on the SFF genre.
– A commenter mentions Cirsova magazine’s contributions to the genre.
– Cirsova pops in to elaborate about his SFF magazine.
– Dude replies back observing that the Cirsova website has a Gamergate banner.
– Cirsova affirms this.
– Dude replies back accusing Cirsova and/or its fans of being misogynistic fascists. Unprovoked.
– Cirsova makes a graceful exit.
– Dude takes a parting shot.
– I drop a post mocking Dude’s lack of civility.
– Dude calls us self-serving Nazi pricks.
You can see the archived image here.
I think, in the long-run, this kind of thing can be good for us. The average observer, seeing this, is going to conclude that Dude is an asshole. It’s the same kind of poor behavior we see from the likes of Black Lives Matter or Occupy Wall Street, or the Trump protesters. Sorry guys – setting cop cars on fire and smashing Starbucks windows is not going to win you any prizes, nor will it ingratiate you with the public.
This, I think, is part of the reason the pendulum swung to the right this election cycle. Bad behavior is not rewarded.
I mean, who comes out looking badly here?
From where I’m standing, it’s not Cirsova.
Even if it *were* ok to punch Nazis in the face, you can’t just declare everyone who disagrees with you to be a Nazi. Eventually you’re going to punch someone and either (a) get hauled off or (b) get the shit kicked out of you.